Death of an idea

Cracked orbs of purest white
    A makeshift mountain, their tomb
Stare up, lamenting their plight
    In a soundless wail of gloom.

Lost in a forgotten cave,
    A plotline burns in neglect.
Yet the embers from its grave
    Inspire the poet's respect.

"The authorities agree -
    The fittest merit survival.
Thus Darwinian decree
    Forbids your revival."

Regret is brushed aside,
    Misgivings turned to vapour.
With passion as my guide,
    I put my pen to paper.

A cynic's narrative
    Imposes reinvention,
Rendering imperative
    A break from convention.

Shall villainy be rewarded?
    To a credulous simpleton,
A painful fate awarded,
    That may not be undone?

A momentary flicker
    Of fresh fabrication
Evaporates quicker
    Than a poet's dedication.

Another sphere of defeat,
    A ball of potential curled,
Is tossed to its hilly retreat
    Remains of a godless world.


(Après-post: I know I haven't been very regular with posts or comments lately. I'm sorry, but deadlines have tightened their sinister grip on my throat to a level that makes it impossible to deny their existence like I usually do. But I have seen the error of my ways. Reform is imminent.)

13 spilt beans:

IceMaiden August 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM  

me first? :O :P cool!

I m nt much of a poem person, never been any good at them myself, bt i hav to say, this is one of the very few poems that i hav read on blogville that i really liked!!! kudos! :) lolz, bt since i m nt much of a poet myself, lets hear wht d others say :P

deadlines eh? :P welcome to 4th year :P :D

Cheers,
Annie.
P.S: having said that, i still say i like ur senseless insane posts better! :)

Valerie August 7, 2009 at 2:03 AM  

Welcome back! Nice of you to fit in a post for us. Good luck with your deadlines!

Archana August 7, 2009 at 8:02 AM  

I thought you had poofed off on vacation somewhere wonderful, hence being MIA. But looks like most of the bloggers have been taking some time off due to exams/etc. So glad I'm past that stage, hehe. If I could, I'd rewind the years to undergrad for the social life...as for the academics, aaah, I could have never kept up a blog then.

Anyway, certain lines in this poem were really nice.

"With passion as my guide,
I put my pen to paper."

Nice. :)

Onward August 7, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

Buddy boy...real neat poem....u pen poems the way i like em..it makes sense...and it RHYMES...:D :D...and u used the difficult rhyme scheme ..the alternate line one :)..

Oh..buhahahaha...deadlines...hehe...welcome to my world...ENJOY :D

cheers
amith

PS : Crazy insane posts or rhyming sensible rhymes...it think u excel in both areas..keep em coming bro :)

Sandy August 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

I can totally identify with this. So many ideas scrapped. Glad you followed this one through though. I like the way you make it rhyme. Keep it real.
Cheers!

P.S. welcome back!

Cabin-boy Dave August 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

@ Annie:

Heh, thanks for that! To be truthful, I'm not much of a poem-person myself, but sometimes they just seem right.

Well, it's just another year to go... but then there'll be more deadlines to come. Sigh.

Aye, aye! It's back to insanity for my next post :P


@ Valerie:

Thanks! I missed blogsville - I reckon blogging's become just as important to me as any of my deadlines.

Welcome to the Loony Bean!


@ Archana:

That served to remind me how far I am from a vacation. Life just ain't fair :(

Social life? *Looks around* What social life? :P

I'm glad you liked those lines, though I'm guessing you really didn't think much of the poem :P


@ Amith:

I never could get used to a poem that didn't rhyme. But I find this scheme easier than the one with consecutive lines.

I'm glad you like the poems too. I think I'll return to a less serious post though.


@ Sandy:

Well, as they say, if you never fail at something, you're probably not trying hard enough.

But one does wonder what could have become of those lost moments of inspiration.

Archana August 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

Have I been caught red-handed? :P If I was into poetry, I'd sit down and really read between the lines. Therefore, instead of commenting on what is unfamiliar ground to me, I kept my comment to basics. :)

Naina August 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

intense poetry there Aneev.. and hope to see you back to blogging..


Cheers
Rane

Archana August 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

I have another bean to spill. :) I have something for you at my blog!

P August 11, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

you write some really greta poetry!

woo!
when do we get to read more of this stuff?
:D

JennyMac August 12, 2009 at 2:41 AM  

Great writing...

and no apologies for being required to work. Your fans await...:)

Shalini August 13, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

i could never write poetry like that.. congratulations! =P

Cabin-boy Dave August 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

@ Archana: Lol, that's okay. I'm not so good at interpreting poetry myself, except when I'm the one who wrote it :P

@ Rane: I'm delighted that you like it! Welcome to the Loony Bean!

@ Archana (again): Thanks! Every bean you spill is a ray of sunshine in my life too! I'll put up the badge as soon as I can :)

@ Pixie: Patience, my friend :) Though rhyming really isn't my forte, I'll put something up for you soon.

@ JennyMac: Thanks for that! The idea of me having fans is a little scary. What's the world coming to? :O

@ Shalini: What you really mean when you say that is you've never tried to write poetry like that. It's depressingly simple at times :D

Post a Comment

About this nutcase

My photo
A thoroughly confused blogger with imagined Multiple Personality Disorder and delusions of usefulness. Yeah, he has issues.